Create an Isometric Orientation from an Orthographic View
One of our users recently called in asking if it was possible to create an Isometric view from an orthographic view on a drawing. This took me on a walk down memory lane because this was something everyone knew in the early days of NX.
First, I would like to explain about the canned Isometric and Trimetric views in NX:
- Isometric view: The direction of viewing is such that the three axes of space appear equally foreshortened, and there is a common angle of 120 degrees between them. As the distortion caused by foreshortening is uniform, the proportionality between lengths is preserved, and the axes share a common scale.
- In a Dimetric view the direction of viewing is such that two of the three axes of space appear equally foreshortened, and two of the angles that meet in the nearest corner are the same.
- In a Trimetric view, the direction of viewing is such that all of the three axes of space appear unequally foreshortened. All three angles that meet in the nearest corner are different.
Now, you’re ready to emulate an Isometric view in NX. This is the part I will use as an example and the canned TFR-ISO view in NX.
Rather than a Top, Front, Right view, I would like to see a Top, Left, Front view. Replace view with the Left view.
- Menu –> Operation –> Rotate
- Select the Y-Axis and enter -45 in the angle increment widget. Apply
- Select the X-Axis and enter 35.264 in the angle increment widget. OK
This is not right on the money of being an Isometric view, but it is very close.
- Menu –> View –> Operation –> Save-As –> Name the view as you like.
- Save the part file.
Note: If you are doing this to create a view on a drawing and you are working in a Master Model mode, you should go to the drawing sheet. Then use the Display Sheet command to disable the “paper space” and show you the “model space”. From there you can do the above steps and the view will be available to add as a base view on the drawing when you return to “paper space”.
To learn more about the our products and services regarding NX.